The Marketplace 100: A Glimpse Into the Future of Commerce
Manage episode 358725018 series 2546451
Over the last decade, we’ve seen the marketplace model evolve and grow, and this year a16z is back with our fourth edition of the Marketplace100 – a ranking of the top private marketplaces by GMV – giving a unique window into what may be to come.
This year’s list features nearly three dozen newcomers, including marketplaces for refurbished electronics, precious metals, and sustainably raised meat. And in this episode, we break down key trends from the report together with a16z’s Consumer partners Connie Chan, Olivia Moore, and Zach Cohen.
If you’d like to see the full ranking of the largest consumer-facing marketplace startups and private companies, you can find the full report at https://a16z.com/marketplace-100.
- Find the full Marketplace 100 report: https://a16z.com/marketplace-100
- Find Connie on Twitter: https://twitter.com/conniechan
- Find Olivia on Twitter: https://twitter.com/omooretweets
- Find Zach on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zachcohen25
- 00:00- Introduction
- 02:28 - Why marketplaces?
- 05:18 - What metrics matter
- 07:55 - Newcomers on the list
- 09:49 - Entertainment and personalization
- 13:46 - Curated marketplaces
- 14:47 - Trust and safety
- 21:23 - Mental health trends
- 22:42 - Untapped supply
- 24:40 - Disintermediation
- 27:42 - Transient vs foundational trends
- 31:33 - Companies entering the category
- 36:52 - Sleeper categories for 2024
Find a16z on Twitter: https://twitter.com/a16z
Find a16z on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/a16z
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app: https://a16z.simplecast.com/
Follow our host: https://twitter.com/stephsmithio
Please note that the content here is for informational purposes only; should NOT be taken as legal, business, tax, or investment advice or be used to evaluate any investment or security; and is not directed at any investors or potential investors in any a16z fund. For more details please see a16z.com/disclosures.