Manage episode 295044688 series 2536178
This week, we're joined by one of our most often requested guests: Sonny Brown! Sonny, also known as "that other BJJ podcast guy," is working on a kesa gatame instructional. He joins us to share core concepts on this underutilized position.
We debunk common kesa gatame misconceptions:
- "They'll just take my back"
- "They'll just bridge me over"
- "They'll just push my head into an armbar or crucifix"
- "Kesa gatame is only for big guys"
- "Once you get into kesa gatame, you’re stuck there."
Critical control points for kesa gatame:
- Keep your legs at a 90° angle to block the bridge
- Keep their near-side elbow off the mat
- Bring your opponent's chin to your chest.
- Don’t lean your head over to their far side.
Mental models discussed in this episode:
- Do What Works
- Predictable Responses
- Theory of Alignment
- Surface Area
- Shifting Platforms
- Critical Control Points
- Center of Gravity
Don't forget to check out BJJ Mental Models Premium!
If you love the podcast, you’ll definitely love our premium membership offerings. The podcast is truly just the tip of the iceberg – the next steps on your journey are joining our community, downloading our strategy courseware, and working with us to optimize your game. We do all this through memberships that come in at a fraction of the cost of a single private.
Our premium offerings are powered by Patreon. Sign up here:
Need more BJJ Mental Models?
Get tips, tricks, and breakthrough insights from our mailing list:
Get nitty-gritty details on our mental models from the full database:
Let them know you're an educated grappler with our merch:
Get the latest BJJ Mental Models updates from Facebook:
Music by Enterprize: