Manage episode 258933798 series 2653665
Episode 02 | A Cavalcade of COVID-19 Crackpottery
Host: Derek DeWitt
The year 2020 has started off being defined by the global spread of the COVID-19 human coronavirus, but it's not just the illness that spreading - misinformation, disinformation, misconceptions and outright lies are also on a worldwide tour aided and abetted by social media.
We'll take a look at some of the more pervasive ideas out there, tracing them back to their sources like good epidemiologists, and also think about ways we can inoculate ourselves and others against the noise.
- 02:27 - What is COVID-19?
- 03:47 - Milestones - How We Got Where We Are
- 05:25 - Bio-weapon (Chinese)
- 11:41 - Bio-weapon (American)
- 18:50 - Bio-weapon (Jewish)
- 20:57 - Population Control
- 21:47 - Espionage
- 22:37 - A Petri Dish of Other Origins
- 25:04 - Postmodern Snake Oil - Preventatives & Cures
- 29:35 - A Selfish Justification for Masks
- 30:34 - Fake Silver Linings
- 31:32 - Mis-& disinformation, both have consequences
- 33:36 - How to Combat the Crackpottery
- 40:29 - Memes Are Viruses
- 41:46 - Next Steps
- Music by Fanette Ronjat
- At 29:33, we may have mispronounced Jonathan Sather's name. We don't really care, but full disclosure.
Follow us on social for extra goodies:
Other Podcasts by Derek DeWitt
- DIGITAL SIGNAGE DONE RIGHT - Winner of 2020 Communicator Award of Excellence for Podcasts Series-Corporate Communications and on numerous top 10 podcast lists.
- PRAGUE TIMES - A city is more than just a location - it’s a kaleidoscope of history, places, people and trends. This podcast looks at Prague, in the center of Europe, from a number of perspectives, including what it is now, what is has been and where it’s going. It’s Prague THEN, Prague NOW, Prague LATER.