Manage episode 269948095 series 2653665
Episode 13 | Mass Hysteria & Shared Delusions - The World Is Weird 2
Host: Derek DeWitt
Mass hysteria, collective delusions or just people freaking out - whatever you call it, you can't deny that history is filled with reports of people losing it en masse. We'll look at nuns that bite and meow, fainting and twitching schoolchildren, uncontrollable dancing, large scale paranoia, mysterious attacks on windshields and a worldwide epidemic of creepy clown sightings.
- 02:14 - Hysteria: Not Just a "Female Problem"
- 03:41 - Nunsense: Mass Hysteria in Convents - Biting Nuns, Meowing Nuns
- 05:59 - The Devils of Loudon
- 09:08 - School Daze: Seizures in Switzerland & Canada, the Tanganyika Laughter Epidemic, Louisiana; Blackburn, England; Twitching in Vinton, Virginia; Portugal's Strawberries with Sugar Outbreak
- 14:10 - More School Stuff, Conversion Disorder, Somatic Countertransference, Hysterical Contagion
- 16:01 - Hysterical Contagion: The 1962 June Bug Epidemic
- 17:11 - Folie à Deux/Trois/Famille/Plusieurs, Folie Imposée/Simultanée, Physical Repercussions of Hysteria
- 19:27 - Cut a Rug: The Dancing Plague of 1518 & Other Dancing Outbreaks
- 23:50 - Possible Causes of Uncontrolled Dancing
- 24:22 - Crowd Control: The Milan Poisoning Scare
- 28:12 - The Irish Fright
- 31:04 - Collective Delusions: The Seattle Windshield Pitting Epidemic
- 33:54 - Mass Hysteria: The Hollinwell Incident
- 35:49 - Collective Delusion Meets Social Media: The 2016 Clown Sightings
- Music by Fanette Ronjat
- I mispronounce French words all over the place in this episode. Sorry, French speakers.
NEXT WORLS IS WEIRD: October Surprise: Fact or Fiction?
PREVIOUS WORLD IS WEIRD: The Tuskegee Study
Follow us on social for extra goodies:
Other Podcasts by Derek DeWitt
- DIGITAL SIGNAGE DONE RIGHT - Winner of 2020 Communicator Award of Excellence for Podcasts Series-Corporate Communications and on numerous top 10 podcast lists.
- PRAGUE TIMES - A city is more than just a location - it’s a kaleidoscope of history, places, people and trends. This podcast looks at Prague, in the center of Europe, from a number of perspectives, including what it is now, what is has been and where it’s going. It’s Prague THEN, Prague NOW, Prague LATER.