Manage episode 265267251 series 2653665
Episode 09 | Now You See It, Now You Don't - Finland Doesn't Exist
Host: Derek DeWitt
There are some things you just know are true. Like that Finland exists. But it doesn't. Neither does Australia. And New Zealand's looking kind of iffy as well. In fact, there are many things that you think are real, but aren't. Like birds. They aren't real either.
- 01:42 - Finland Doesn't Exist - The Theory
- 04:38 - Finland Doesn't Exist - The Point Zero
- 06:42 - Poe's Law & the Ambiguity of Intent (Postmodern Irony, New Sincerity, Post-Irony, Meta-Irony, Hyper-Irony)
- 11:20 - Finland Doesn't Exist - Embellishments & Reactions
- 12:36 - Australia Doesn't Exist
- 14:53 - Other Geographic Fictions (OGF) - Bielefeld, Germany
- 18:10 - OGF - Acre, Brazil
- 18:40 - OGF - Molise, Italy
- 19:01 - OGF - North Dakota, USA
- 19:32 - Henri Tajfel's Minimal Group Paradigm, In-Group Favoritism & Out-Group Homogeneity
- 20:36 - New Zealand Is Being De-Mapped
- 22:23 - Sandy Island
- 23:39 - Phantom Islands (Los Buenos Jardines, Emerald Island, Dougherty Island, Terra Nova, et al.)
- 25:54 - Phantom Settlements, Copyright Traps, Paper Towns, Trap Streets, etc.
- 26:57 - Jakob Maria Mierscheid - German MP, Naturalist, Great Guy
- 28:51 - Birds Aren't Real - The Brainchild of Peter McIndoe
- 33:01 - Culture Jamming & You
- Music by Fanette Ronjat
- At 20:17, I mispronounced the word "homogeneity"
- NOTE: I do NOT mispronounce the name Henri Tajfel, but most people do (the "j" makes a "y" sound in Polish)
Follow us on social for extra goodies:
Other Podcasts by Derek DeWitt
- DIGITAL SIGNAGE DONE RIGHT - Winner of 2020 Communicator Award of Excellence for Podcasts Series-Corporate Communications and on numerous top 10 podcast lists.
- PRAGUE TIMES - A city is more than just a location - it’s a kaleidoscope of history, places, people and trends. This podcast looks at Prague, in the center of Europe, from a number of perspectives, including what it is now, what is has been and where it’s going. It’s Prague THEN, Prague NOW, Prague LATER.