Manage episode 283980973 series 2653665
EPISODE 25 | The Dyatlov Pass Incident: More Than a UFO Story - The World Is Weird 4
People love mysteries but also hate them. Unanswered questions drive us crazy, especially when the stakes are high. Like when someone dies. Or when nine people die on the side of a mountain in the dead of winter, found in various states on undress, with unexplainable wounds and missing body parts. The strange and provocative events of the Dyatlov Pass Incident have kept UFOlogists, cryptozoologists and people who just distrust the government very busy for the past 62 years.
- 01:45 - The Dyatlov Pass Incident - The strange facts (who, where, when and what)
- 07:59 - CSI: Dead Mountain - Theories (avalanche, snow slab, katabatic wind, fight, animals, the official cause)
- 13:47 - Mullerovich & Scullina: Russia's Own X-File (UFOs, weapons test, gulag escape, infrasound, assassination, Russian Yeti)
- 21:31 - Smells like a cover up?
- 22:36 - But Wait, There's More! - An Enduring Mystery (The 2015-19 investigation, a new explanation, victim shaming, blogger Valentin Degterev, films & books)
- 27:58 - Man vs. Wild - Bad things can happen out there
- Music by Fanette Ronjat
NOTE: to see pictures from the hikers and investigation, check out the video version of this episode on our YouTube channel
More about this incident:
- Original investigation files, in English
- An outrageously comprehensive website by Teodora Hadjiyska (in English)
- Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar
- Russian Yeti: The Killer Lives
- "Devil's Pass" Variety review
- Dyatlov Pass, the Story by Anna Matveeva in Ural magazine (in Russian)
- City of Exiles by Alec Nevala-Lee
- Kholat - Polish survival horror game inspired by these events
- Mountain of the Dead by Keith McClosky
- Death of Nine: The Dyatlov Pass Mystery by Launton Anderson
- Yuba County Five Wikipedia page
- National Geographic article that came out less than a week before this episode
- The Dyatlov Pass Incident - a website
- A truly wild website by a possibly mentally ill person about the Dyatlov incident, filled with a number of rants & theories, lots of pictures and some truly offbeat video embeds (like Obama and Putin having breakfast, the closing ceremony of the Sochi Olympic games, clips from John Carpenter's "The Thing" and the Russian Red Army Choir singing "The Song of the Volga Boatmen" in 1965 ). Multiple pages - check them all out.
Follow us on social for extra goodies:
- YouTube (extra videos on the topic, Old Time Radio shows, music playlists and more)
Other Podcasts by Derek DeWitt
- DIGITAL SIGNAGE DONE RIGHT - Winner of 2020 Communicator Award of Excellence for Podcasts Series-Corporate Communications and on numerous top 10 podcast lists.
- PRAGUE TIMES - A city is more than just a location - it’s a kaleidoscope of history, places, people and trends. This podcast looks at Prague, in the center of Europe, from a number of perspectives, including what it is now, what is has been and where it’s going. It’s Prague THEN, Prague NOW, Prague LATER.