Manage episode 245795861 series 1313912
In this episode of Lean the F*ck Out, Gretchen and Tera talk with entrepreneur Kathy Terry, co-founder of P. Terry’s Burger Stand and founder of In Lieu. Kathy talks she founded a business built on giving after being inspired by giving her and her husband were able to do through their restaurant business.
A Business Built on Giving Episode Highlights:
- In Lieu starting as an idea for transforming behavior from gift giving to friends to giving back in a new way.
- Giving back is fast and easy through the In Lieu app.
- Use giving to get to know friends/coworkers/clients a bit more.
- Kathy’s business build on giving started with the user experience and was built backwards to create the working app it is today.
- Redirecting market from gifting market to the nonprofit market.
- As a femprenuer use your access.
A fierce female and serial entrepreneur, Kathy Terry has been making waves since starting her first business over 20 years ago. In 2005 she co-founded P. Terry’s Burger Stand with her husband Patrick and quickly established its presence as a socially and health-conscious fast food alternative. With fifteen P. Terry’s locations and counting (and a hot new fast casual Mexican offering called Taco Ranch) there’s no denying that Kathy Terry has helped change the way Austinites do “fast casual.”
Kathy and Patrick have a heart for philanthropy, and giving back has always been a core principle of the Terry’s business model. Through their stewardship, the restaurant chain has donated over $900,000 to date, all benefiting local nonprofits. But Kathy didn’t stop there - in 2018 she launched an all-new mobile app called inLieu: the first social giving app where users can make donations and share a personal message with a friend, anytime, anywhere.
Kathy’s mission to change the way we think about giving is a reflection of a lifetime of charitable giving and service. Her goal is simple–to make it easier for people to make the world a better place.
Kathy and Patrick live in Austin Texas with their two children, Kate and Caroline.You can find Kathy online at:
If you like the bumper music in each episode, you can hear more from Gretchen’s bands at leanthef-ckout.com/music.