Manage episode 233015324 series 1313912
In this episode of Lean the F*ck Out, we talk with Jill Salzman about her company The Founding Moms. Jill is an expert in building a business and making it work as a mom. We talk about how you can become a badass founding mom and chat about what it takes to be a mom entrepreneur.Badass Founding Moms Episode Highlights:
- Systemizing makes everything feel less crazy.
- Two universal truths about moms: 1. Moms carry guilt about being a working mom and having a kid; and 2. they all carry fear that they will fail.
- No entrepreneur has it all and knows all of what she’s doing.
- If you think you understand your target market you don’t. You can’t assume anything about anyone. You have to survey, survey, survey; ask, ask, ask.
- Use your intuition.
- Don’t let data fuel your fears.
- Do the thing you want to do. Dive right in. Don’t let anything be the hurdle to you trying it.
- Ask people. The worst you could hear is no, which is also helpful.
Jill Salzman is currently growing her third entrepreneurial venture, The Founding Moms, where she helps mom entrepreneurs build better businesses. A graduate of Brown University and law school, she started a music management firm and then launched and sold a baby jewelry company before creating her current venture. She’s the author of The Best Business Book In The World and the best-seller, Found It: A Field Guide for Mom Entrepreneurs. Jill is a co-host of Inc. Magazine’s top-rated entertaining business podcast, Breaking Down Your Business, gave her own TED talk on 11/11/11, was dubbed a “mommy mogul” by CNNMoney, a “ Cool Mom Entrepreneur We Love” by MSN Live, and she was recently named one of the Top 50 Women to Watch In Tech as well as a Top 100 Champion Small Business Influencer after Forbes’ named The Founding Moms one of the Top 10 Websites For Entrepreneurs. She’s shared the speaker stage with Richard Branson, Sheryl Sandberg, Daymond John, Marilu Henner, and Desmond Tutu and she regularly appears on ABC7’s Windy City Live TV show. In her spare time, Jill enjoys kloofing, baking, and erasing her daughters’ crayon artwork from the kitchen walls.You can find Jill online at:
If you are thinking about starting a business or side hustle, check out our Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit. The kit gives you tools and inspiration to start thinking like a fempreneur and start designing the life you want! You’ll receive a guided meditation to help you figure out your vision, a budget worksheet to see what you need financially to make a go of it, daily practices including printable worksheets and daily affirmations to help you keep your head up when your confidence is waning. Again, it’s free and it’s available at leanthef-ckout.com/launchkit.
Music: Sunshine by The Icicles