Manage episode 293211753 series 2842386
"A Message to Garcia" is an article written by Elbery Hubbard in 1899 that is still heavily referenced in the military and private sector today. It is a story of a lieutenant tasked with a seemingly impossible mission who carried out his orders with no guidance. The story became a rallying cry for military leaders and corporate executives alike. Frank and Ian dive into the facts and myths about this article, and how the lessons might still apply today.
Also in this episode:
- What it means if a manager tells you to "get the message to Garcia"
- The uncommon nature of the story's protagonist
- How valuable are autonomous people in business?
- How to find people like this in the interview process
- How to demonstrate you have these characteristics in a job search