Manage episode 341222930 series 2868742
Today’s guest is Dr. Gabor Maté. Gabor Maté is a retired physician who spent 20 years in family practice and worked for over a decade in Vancouver’s Downtown East Side with patients challenged by drug addiction and mental illness. He is the bestselling author of four books published in thirty languages, including the award-winning In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction, Gabor is an internationally renowned speaker highly sought after for his expertise on addiction, trauma, childhood development, and the relationship of stress and illness. The occasion for today’s chat is to discuss his newest book, The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness and Healing in a Toxic Culture that was just released a few days ago. This episode is an absolute MASTERCLASS on all things healing, parenting, trauma and addiction!
Thanks to this episode's sponsor:
Magic Spoon: Visit https://magicspoon.com/ and use the promo code "DOUG" at checkout to receive $5 off your first order
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:46 Is trauma root cause of addiction?
- 05:11 How does trauma change our brains?
- 07:34 Why our brains love opiates
- 12:11 Can parents prevent their kids from addiction?
- 14:30 THIS mistake by parents is detrimental to kids emotional development
- 17:07 Signs of childhood trauma in adults
- 20:45 How does stress and our emotions impact our health?
- 25:09 How do we heal from trauma and reduce stress?
- 28:34 Why we need authenticity AND attachment for survival (& how to have both)
- 33:30 How does a skeptic embrace spirituality?
- 37:23 Why is the drug epidemic so bad?
- 41:02 How does someone recover from addiction?
- 44:47 Gabor’s thoughts on the 12 step programs
- 47:40 The “4 A’s” that can help you become “whole”
- 51:51 His most VALUABLE advice for loving someone with addiction
Connect with Gabor:
Follow me on Social Media: