The Full Ratchet: VC | Venture Capital | Angel Investors | Startup Investing | Fundraising | Crowdfunding | Pitch | Private Equity | Business Loans
266. Velocity as a Superpower, Why Contrarians Win, The Role of a Board Member, and Why Some Challenge When they Should Chill (Ed Sim)
Manage episode 283100099 series 1547256
Ed Sim of boldstart ventures joins Nick to discuss: Velocity as a Superpower, Why Contrarians Win, The Role of a Board Member, and Why Some Challenge When they Should Chill
- Walk us through your background and path to VC
- What’s the thesis at boldstart ventures?
- What was it like starting Boldstart in NYC in 2010?
- Tell us a bit about the thesis at investment and how things evolved over the years until the ultimate exit?
- What's your preference... Niche and narrow problems or big and expansive opportunities?
- What is your mental model for investing in enterprise founders with ideas?
- category creation
- Why only technical founders?
- Will this enterprise bull market sustain?
- You've talked about being involved and sitting on boards from "whiteboard to scale" ?... how do you manage ever-increasing board responsibilities with other demands of the job?
- Where are VCs most lacking when it comes to the value that early-stage founders require?
- Do you think there's too much money in venture?
- How do you win in a seed with so many seed funds?