The Full Ratchet: VC | Venture Capital | Angel Investors | Startup Investing | Fundraising | Crowdfunding | Pitch | Private Equity | Business Loans
273. The "Three Layer Cake" Fund, How Personal Experience Drives Your Investment Lens, The Future of Tech for the Aging Population, & How a Solo GP Can Do it All (Monique Woodard)
Manage episode 287389985 series 1547256
Monique Woodard of Cake Ventures joins Nick to discuss The "Three Layer Cake" Fund, How Personal Experience Drives Your Investment Lens, The Future of Tech for the Aging Population, & How a Solo GP Can Do it All. In this episode, we cover:
- Walk us through your background and path to VC
- What’s the thesis at Cake Ventures?
- You have a strong focus on looking for startups that are addressing the needs of a world undergoing massive demographic changes. Talk to us a bit about how you approach investing in demographic change?
- What sort of demographic changes do you believe will have opportunities?
- Were you surprised to see Baby Boomers dominating online shopping?
- What is it like being a solo GP? What are the pros and cons?
- How do you replicate and try to scale yourself?
- Context switching is often cited as the hardest thing about what we do. Talk us through your schedule and how you manage context switching?
- This question is called three data points. I'm going to give you a hypothetical situation w/ a startup and you can ask three questions for three specific data points.
- Let's say you are approached to invest in a consumer social business with 100k MAUs, and 20% MoM growth for the last 3 months. The catch is you can only ask for 3 data points to make your decision.
- What 3 questions do you ask?