The Full Ratchet: VC | Venture Capital | Angel Investors | Startup Investing | Fundraising | Crowdfunding | Pitch | Private Equity | Business Loans
274. The Next Generation of Tech & Venture Capital from the Perspective of a Unicorn Founder Turned GP (Alfred Chuang)
Manage episode 287906954 series 1547256
Alfred Chuang of Race Capital joins Nick to discuss The Next Generation of Tech & Venture Capital from the Perspective of a Unicorn Founder Turned GP. In this episode, we cover:
- Walk us through your background and path to VC
- What’s the thesis at Race Capital?
- Why did you name your fund Race Capital?
- I want to talk a bit about open source... there seem to be wildly differing takes on this but what is your opinion of for profit tech companies building products on open source architecture and, in some cases, just reskinning open source tech w/ a UI and selling for profit?
- As we evolve to an increasingly cloud-first technology environment, what does it mean as we transition from a hybrid (onprem, cloud) approach to cloud only?
- How does edge computing reconcile with this future cloud-only environment?
- On the data side... Do you think we move to a Unified Data Infrastructure Architecture in the future?
- Transition a bit to talk more about your journey...
- I want to talk a bit about BEA Systems... sounds like an amazing journey and a great outcome. What is your biggest regret looking back (if any)?
- Ultimately, why do you think entrepreneurs choose you over other firms?
- What's your opinion on valuation and, as things have gotten more competitive, firms bidding price up and founders really optimizing for valuation at the early stages?
- Is Silicon Valley’s exodus real?
- Will these SPAC deals blow up?