The Full Ratchet: VC | Venture Capital | Angel Investors | Startup Investing | Fundraising | Crowdfunding | Pitch | Private Equity | Business Loans
276. How COVID Has Instigated a Massive Demographic Reshuffling, Accelerating the Transformation of Retail, and Why Real Estate Will Become the Largest Consumer of Climate Tech (Brendan Wallace)
Manage episode 289179666 series 1547256
Brendan Wallace of Fifth Wall joins Nick to discuss How COVID Has Instigated a Massive Demographic Reshuffling, Accelerating the Transformation of Retail, and Why Real Estate Will Become the Largest Consumer of Climate Tech. In this episode, we cover:
- The world becomes more flat over time, and w/ mobility tech, like Uber and others, the distance between points shortens over time, which all fundamentally disrupts urban planning of the cities themselves but also the suburbs and beyond... now we're in a situation where a wild card factor comes into play... this pandemic... that has altered how people live and work more fundamentally than ever expected?
- First off... trends where you will deploy dollars?
- Do we go back to a primarily in-office environment post-covid? why or why not?
- Have you seen more value creation or more value destruction, in real estate, from the pandemic?
- What strategies will cities implement to stay competitive post-covid?
- We have a new administration in office... How do you think this affects real estate and your strategy at Fifth Wall?
- Climate issues and the net carbon effect of construction on the planet... is technology the primary solution to these issues, or is it even more basic than that?
- Financial side or real estate, construction and AEC side, there's the post-construction in-service opportunities/retrofits for buildings whether residential, commercial or industrial... what part are you spending the most time in and do you feel there's the biggest gap between current state and desired state?
- What are the most common mistakes founders make when building in this sector?