Manage episode 246770259 series 1313912
In this episode of Lean the F*ck Out, Gretchen and Tera talk with Tameka Ramsey, founder of T Ramsey & Associates. Tameka is an entrepreneur, consultant, community organizer, problem solver and so much more. Honestly, it’s hard to capture in a brief statement what a bad ass Tameka is! Listen to this episode to get a sense of what she does, why she does it, and how she is truly changing the damn world.
Changing the Damn World! Episode Highlights:
- Tameka started T Ramsey & Associates and modeled it after Olivia Pope & Associates!
- The consultancy is made up of black women consultants with a wide range of expertise including advocacy, social justice, strategic planning, civic engagement, PR, branding, communications, writing and more.
- An important aspect of T Ramsey & Associates is that it empowers black women to run their own businesses while having the flexibility to work and raise their families.
- Black women move the needle when it comes to policies and voting.
- Community organizing has to start hyper-locally.
- Organize yourself and your lives first, then once you feel that empowerment you automatically start going bigger and making more movement.
- You need to feel empowered personally first. Organizations need to see this first. Empower women first, then bring them along to the Capitol.
- “Calling out rudeness is my favorite past time.”
- “All community organizers should be social workers.”
- “Organize in the way of the Black Panther.”
Tameka Ramsey is the founder and senior associate at T. Ramsey & Associates, a consulting firm based in Downtown Pontiac, Michigan.
Tameka is a sought-after consultant, known for her work with grassroot nonprofits; minority owned microenterprises and small businesses; and, progressive political campaigns. She serves as the co-founder of Pontiac Policy Council, convener for Black Women’s Roundtable Detroit, and is a member of 482Forward and Mothering Justice. Tameka has worked tirelessly to build grassroots organizations in Pontiac and Metro Detroit that are committed to their communities.
Tameka earned her associate’s degree in mental health social work from Oakland Community College; her bachelor’s degree in social work from Wayne State University; and her master’s degree in public administration with a dual concentration of local government and nonprofit management from Oakland University. In addition to her formal education, Tameka has more than 12 years’ experience in community organizing, advocacy and leadership development. She has received training from Neighbor Works America, Center for Progressive Leadership, Midwest Academy, the Gamaliel Organization and more.
Tameka is married to Michael Brown Ramsey. They have three children, Qua’Veionta (Roshae), Zakiya and Michael Jr and a new grandson Qua JrYou can find Tameka online at:
If you like the bumper music in each episode, you can hear more from Gretchen’s bands at leanthef-ckout.com/music.