Laugh At Adversity with Gary Savoie: Inspirational Messages to Conquer Anxiety, Depression, Fear, Relationships, Self-Doubt, and Self-Esteem
012 - Embracing Your Vulnerabilities, True Grit And Grace, And Complex Regional Pain Syndrome with Amberly Lago
Manage episode 202839809 series 1985027
As a personal trainer, wife, and mother, Amberly Lago was living the California dream until it turned into a nightmare in May 2010. As she rode her Harley down Ventura Boulevard, Amberly was hit by an SUV, throwing her thirty feet down a busy street and shattering her right leg.
Despite an arduous recovery process, being a former professional dancer and athlete she was determined to walk again and return to work as a fitness trainer. After a lengthy hospital stay and 34 surgeries, doctors were able to fuse her leg together and repair her severed femoral artery despite the initial recommendation to amputate.
However, Amberly was diagnosed with a nerve disease called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (formerly known as RSD) and deals with chronic pain daily. This chronic pain has led her to develop positive, healthy ways of coping with pain and all the emotions that come along with it, and pass it on to others in any kind of pain. This episode is all about turning tragedy into triumph.In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How your whole life can change in the blink of an eye
- How she has undergone 34 surgeries to save her leg
- Why Amberly asked for a chin up bar to be installed in her hospital bed
- Why having a purpose is essential in your recovery
- How she discovered the power of gratitude
- How accepting her scars and new self-image gave her freedom
- Why you need to embrace your vulnerabilities
- What it is like living with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) on a daily basis
- Why we need to stop comparing ourselves to others